Have you ever had your left-hand itch and wondered what it meant? Believe it or not, this is a superstition that dates back centuries! There are many different interpretations of what it means when your left-hand itches, but most people believe that it is a sign of good luck.
In this blog post, we will explore the history of this superstition and some of the possible meanings behind it. We will also discuss other related superstitions and offer our own interpretation of what left-hand itching could mean. So, if you’ve been experiencing an itch on your left hand lately, be sure to keep reading!
- What Does It Mean When Your Left Hand Itches?
- Should You Buy A Lottery Ticket?
- Lottery Winners Who Experienced Left Hand Itching Prior to Winning
- The Story of Grandma Shammas
- History of Left-Hand Itching Superstitions
- What is the Winning Lottery Number for an Itchy Left Hand?
- Other Left Hand Itching Meanings
- Right Hand Itching Meaning
- History of Right-Hand Itching Superstition
- Other Right-Hand Itching Meanings
- Left vs. Right-Hand Itching: Is There a Difference?
- Scientific Considerations for Itching Hands
- What Does It Mean When Your Right Hand Itches
- The Meaning of Scratching One’s Hand in Hinduism
- When your hands start to itch, consider following these steps
- Other Itching Superstitions
Does having an itching left hand imply that money is coming your way soon? It’s possible, and certainly, many cultures seem to think so and have done so for many generations. The general consensus is that having an itching left hand is a sign of good luck when it comes to amassing riches and money. It is a sign that financial success will soon be on its way to you, and indicates the arrival of unanticipated money or prosperity. You will get money from new sources, or the money you lost will find its way back to you.
Should You Buy A Lottery Ticket?
If you want to win the lottery or make money investing in the stock market or share market, you should do it while your left hand is itching. At least according to the superstition, you should. Not only that, but there have also been some indications that it does work (more on that later). Causation or coincidence, we’ll let you decide.
In a similar vein, the property that you are considering selling will fetch the highest price, and there is a significant possibility that you will be able to get advantageous bargains that you did not anticipate.
It is also thought that if you begin searching for the missing money or other precious goods while your left hand is itching, you will be successful in finding what you are looking for.
Help out your odds by manifesting wealth with these simple methods.
As promised, let’s talk about some events that substantiate the superstition. To date, there have been various accounts of individuals who won the lottery immediately after suffering left-hand itching, which lends credence to the widespread belief that having an itchy left hand brings good luck.
Within a few days after scratching their left hands:
- A guy from Michigan won $250,000 on a lottery
- A lady from Baltimore won $50,000 on a lottery
- A woman from the United Kingdom won approximately $23.7 million on a lottery
- A woman from Brooklyn won $64 million on a lottery (Grandma Shammas)
However, the fact that there are thousands of individuals who purchased the tickets but did not end up winning anything leaves it up to you to decide whether or not to regard this as a lucky coincidence or a hoax.
The Story of Grandma Shammas
There are many different stories and legends about the origins of the left-hand itching superstition. One of the most popular origin stories is about a woman named Mary Shammas.
Mary Shammas was a grandma from Brooklyn, New York that won a $64 million lottery jackpot after she felt the need to play the lottery when her left palm started to itch. She was 73 when she won and has been featured in the news in 2010. This was the most current documented case of someone winning the lottery after their left hand itched.
So, if you’re experiencing an itch on your left hand, you might want to buy a lottery ticket! You never know, you could be the next big winner.
History of Left-Hand Itching Superstitions
The superstition of left-hand itching dates back to at least the Middle Ages. There are many different interpretations of what this means, but the most popular one is that it is a sign of good luck. This is because the left hand is considered to be the “receiving” hand, so an itch in this hand would symbolize that you are about to receive something.
There are other interpretations of this superstition as well. For example:
- Some believe that an itch in your left-hand means that someone is talking about you behind your back.
- Others believe that it is a sign of impending wealth or success.
Interestingly, there is also a belief that the meaning of left-hand itching varies depending on your gender.
- For men, it is said to be a sign of good luck.
- For women, it is a sign that someone is going to give them a gift.
What is the Winning Lottery Number for an Itchy Left Hand?
According to certain books, the following numbers could be your winning lottery number if you’ve got an itchy left hand:
- 333 and 353
- 371 and 616
- 371 and 894
- 636 and 437
- 894 and 194
All of these are in some way, shape, or form based on numerology.
Other Left Hand Itching Meanings
Aside from the popular interpretations of left-hand itching, there are also some other less common meanings.
- Some people believe that an itch in your left-hand means that you are going to meet someone new.
- Others believe that it is a sign of good health.
- In China, it is believed that an itch in your left-hand means that you are going to have a baby.
- In Italy, an itch in your left hand is said to be a sign of love.
Ultimately superstitions are sometimes just fun, and you should never take them too seriously. Whether or not you believe in them is entirely up to you. However, there are people who swear by them. No one can truly know if they work or not, but it is always good to respect their beliefs and the beliefs of their culture.
There is also a superstition surrounding right-hand itching, although this one is not as popular as the left-hand itching superstition.
- The most common interpretation of right-hand itching is that it is a sign of bad luck. This is because the right hand is considered to be the “giving” hand, so an itch in this hand would symbolize that you are about to lose something.
- Another interpretation of right-hand itching is that it is a sign of impending danger or that someone is evil-eyeing you.
As with left-hand itching, there is also a belief that the meaning of right-hand itching depends on your gender.
- For men, it is said to be a sign of bad luck.
- For women, it means that someone is going to take something of theirs.
History of Right-Hand Itching Superstition
Right-hand itching is a common superstition that can be traced back to ancient times. In the modern age, it’s mostly associated with bad luck, but there are a few cultures out there that believe that right-hand itching brings you good luck.
Other Right-Hand Itching Meanings
Some of the bad luck beliefs are that:
- Someone close to you is going to die or has died recently.
- That something will be taken from you.
Some of the good luck beliefs are that:
- You will soon get married.
- Your future spouse is coming to visit.
- Someone close to you has been thinking about you.
As you can see, there are many different interpretations of what it means when your right hand is itching, depending on the culture.
When it comes to left-hand vs. right-hand itching superstition, beliefs are quite congruent in terms of good vs. bad luck, and it’s usually along the same vein for both men and women despite presenting in differing ways.
The hand is a complex and nuanced part of the body that has many unique characteristics to it. Itching of the hand can be caused my many various things, including:
- dry skin
- medication side effect
- in rare cases, cancer
While most people experience hand itching at some point in their lives, some deal with it much more frequently than others. If you experience frequent hand itching, make sure you consult with a physician to rule out any medical causes that can be treated.
Itching on the right hand may signify several things depending on who is experiencing it. This phenomenon is most prevalent in eastern cultures (India, Nepal, and other south Asian nations), which are heavily influenced by Hindu customs and beliefs.
If you are a man and your right hand is itchy, it is a good indication that you are going to bring in a lot of money. On the other hand, if your right hand is itchy and you are a woman, this is a sign that you will be losing a lot of money.
If you are a man or a woman, therefore, whether you have bad luck or good luck when your right palm itches are determined by your gender.
In Hinduisim, left-handed itching is bad luck and right-handed itching is good luck.
Lakshmi, the Goddess of Money, is revered by adherents of the Hindu faith because they believe she bestows wealth, good fortune, and success to her devotees. It is a common superstition in India that the goddess Lakshmi takes the appearance of money when she arrives via the right hand and leaves through the left.
Based on this, if the palm of your right-hand itches, Goddess Lakshmi is coming to you in the form of money. On the other hand, if the palm of your left-hand itches, Goddess Lakshmi is departing from you.
You may purchase a lottery ticket if you feel as if you have the itching palm of a fortunate hand. However, do not scratch the lottery ticket with your nails. Scratching the lottery ticket with a wooden spoon is the most effective strategy. If you are unable to locate a wooden spoon, it’s better to have another person scratch your lottery ticket for you.
Furthermore, if you are a guy, have someone to scratch the lottery for you with their left hand. If you are a girl, have someone scratch the lottery ticket for you with their right hand.
Several other popular superstitions are related to itching.
- If you itch your nose, it means that someone is thinking about you.
- If you have an itch on your head, it means that you are going to have a baby.
- If you scratch an itch, it will spread. So, if you have an itch on your arm, you should avoid scratching it as it will only make the itch worse. Instead, you should try to find something else to occupy your hands.
- If you see someone else scratching an itch, you should also scratch yourself. This is said to prevent the itch from spreading to you.
- If your left hand starts itching, it can mean someone is talking about you.
- If your right hand itches, it can mean that someone has a crush on you.